- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
- Towamencin Twp. Receives Grant Money For Fischer’s Park
- Consumer Advocate: Safer To Use Credit Card Instead of Debit When Shopping
- Alzheimer’s Research Underway At 3 Universities in Pa.
- Long Prison Term For 21 Year Old Man in Rape of Girl
Listen to these shows on demand right now
Complaint Filed Over Mattison Ave School Closing
A complaint filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights accuses the Wissahickon School District of discriminating against the Ambler Latino community with its decision to close Mattison Avenue Elementary School.
It says much of the information leading up to and during hearings on the closure was in English only, and Spanish-speaking parents had no idea what was going on, leaving them with no voice in the decision.
The complaint says it also has a negative impact on the many Latino residents who do not own vehicles because Mattison Avenue is walkable, while the alternative school is not.
Solicitor Scott Wolpert says the complaint is without merit, and the district will fight the allegations.