- Lansdale’s Christmas Tree Lighting Postponed
- Trial Ordered For Two Brothers Accused of Home Invasion
- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
- Towamencin Twp. Receives Grant Money For Fischer’s Park
- Consumer Advocate: Safer To Use Credit Card Instead of Debit When Shopping
Listen to these shows on demand right now
SASD Students Face Activity Fee
The Souderton Area School Board has approved a fee for extracurricular activities. Assistant Superintendent of Schools Frank Gallagher says each student will pay a single fee starting in September.
“Students in middle school and high school who are participating in extracurricular activities, including athletics, will be required to pay $50 a year if they’re going to be involved in those activities. It’s not per activity. It’s just per school year.”
Gallagher says the fee does not apply to service clubs, and students who qualify for the government’s free or reduced-price lunches will not have to pay. He says a few other school districts charge a fee for extracurricular activities, and it’s one more way school boards have found to raise revenue without raising taxes.