Gov Signs Bill At Montco School
“They’ll be trained to recognize the signs of Sudden Cardiac Arrest. Once they spot those symptoms they take that student out of the game. It’s better to be sidelined for the period of the game than it is to be lost forever.”
In a ceremony at Presentation BVM School in Trooper, he said parents will also get a note from school explaining the symptoms. Darren Sudman of Plymouth Meeting, who lost his three-month-old son Simon to Sudden Cardiac Arrest, said the bill will raise awareness.
“Parents will now be aware that Sudden Cardiac Arrest kills at least 2,000 students every year and they can guard against it. Coaches will now be aware that fainting is not acceptable and Gatorade is not the remedy. This is a tremendous step forward in our quest to save young lives.”
Sudman said the bill gives parents, students and coaches information they did not have seven years ago when his son died, and he and his wife Phyllis did not know at the time that kids could unexpectedly drop dead while they were having fun.