- Upper Gwynedd Twp. Police Create Special Needs Registry
- Human Trafficking and Servitude Bill Pass in State Senate
- Trial Ordered For Two Brothers Accused of Home Invasion
- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
- Towamencin Twp. Receives Grant Money For Fischer’s Park
Listen to these shows on demand right now
Lawmaker Proposes State Forest Drilling Lease Moratorium
Montgomery County State Senator Daylin Leach is sponsoring a bill calling for a three-year moratorium on new natural gas-drilling leases in state forests. He says it would not halt existing operations, and the delay would give the state time to evaluate the safety and environmental impact of the gas extraction process.
“We want to make sure we do this in a responsible way and a way that is respectful of the environment and of the communities where these rigs are going to be. Three years is not an inordinately long period of time, and it gives us the opportunity to sort of pause and make sure that we’re doing the right thing.”
Leach says one thing the state should look at very closely is the safety of a process called fracking, where chemicals are mixed with water and pumped into the ground under high pressure to break layers of shale and release the natural gas.