- Lansdale’s Christmas Tree Lighting Postponed
- Trial Ordered For Two Brothers Accused of Home Invasion
- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
- Towamencin Twp. Receives Grant Money For Fischer’s Park
- Consumer Advocate: Safer To Use Credit Card Instead of Debit When Shopping
Listen to these shows on demand right now
“Hoax Mom” Gets Eight Years
A Bucks County mother who admitted making up a phony story about being kidnapped, and also admitted stealing more than a million dollars through a series of frauds, has been given eight years and four months in federal prison. 40-year-old Bonnie Sweeten of Feasterville pleaded guilty to wire fraud and aggravated identity theft several months ago in federal court in Philadelphia. At her sentencing Thursday the judge called her a master con woman, and she said she was very ashamed of herself.
About 1 1/2 years ago she told a judge she had no explanation for why she fled to Disney World with her nine-year-old daughter in may of 2009 after concocting a story about two black men carjacking them and shoving them into the trunk of a Cadillac on Street Road in Southampton.
In the latest case she admitted stealing from her former employer, her ex-husband’s ailing grandfather and others.