- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
- Towamencin Twp. Receives Grant Money For Fischer’s Park
- Consumer Advocate: Safer To Use Credit Card Instead of Debit When Shopping
- Alzheimer’s Research Underway At 3 Universities in Pa.
- Long Prison Term For 21 Year Old Man in Rape of Girl
Listen to these shows on demand right now
Judge Picks Troutman’s Death Penalty Lawyer
A Montgomery County judge has appointed a lawyer to represent a Souderton man in the death penalty phase of his trial if he is convicted of raping and killing a nine-year-old girl. Prominent Norristown Attorney John McMahon says he will do everything he can to represent 24-year-old James Troutman to the best of his ability if a jury finds him guilty. He says it’s a very difficult case where people will clearly be calling for retribution. Troutman is charged with first and second degree murder, kidnapping and rape of a child in the death of Skyler Kauffman. She was abducted in May of this year after playing with friends in a parking lot outside the Souderton Gardens Apartments where she lived with her mother and grandmother, at Second and Chestnut Streets. Troutman lived in the same complex. He told police he choked the victim and hit her head against a concrete floor. The case is scheduled for trial in January, and District Attorney Risa Ferman has said she will seek the death penalty if he is convicted.