A Philadelphia jury has awarded a 13-year-old girl $10 million after deciding that she suffered a life-threatening reaction from taking Children’s Motrin ten years ago.
Her lawyer told jurors Brianna Maya of Tennessee took the over-the-counter painkiller when she was three years old and a rare side effect blinded her, destroyed her reproductive organs and caused her to lose 84 percent of her skin. Lawyer Eric Roberson said the package carried no warning about the side effect. The drug was manufactured at the McNeil Laboratories plant in Fort Washington. Parent company Johnson and Johnson closed the plant in April of 2010 after recalling liquid Children’s Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl and other products because the Food and Drug Administration found bacteria and other contaminants in raw ingredients used to make them.