- Church Treasurer Accused of Stealing Church Funds
- Upper Gwynedd Twp. Police Create Special Needs Registry
- Human Trafficking and Servitude Bill Pass in State Senate
- Trial Ordered For Two Brothers Accused of Home Invasion
- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
Listen to these shows on demand right now
Lafayette St Project Cost Goes Up
The cost of final design, right of way and construction engineering work on the Lafayette Street Improvement Project in Norristown has gone up by about $279,000. County Transportation Planner Leo Bagley says the county must add 49 wheelchair ramps and 24 pedestrian crosswalks in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and do some other work driven by urban conditions.
“It also requires a significant amount of re-survey work along the edges of the roadway because of the various sidewalks, the steps, the frontage of the houses and the necessity of getting proper drainage on a relatively flat road.”
Bagley says the county must conform to government design criteria because the Federal Highway Administration is providing 80 percent of the funding. The county is paying the other 20 percent. The current phase of the Lafayette Street project, along about a mile of existing roadway between Barbadoes and Ford Streets, is costing about $2.3 million.