- Lansdale’s Christmas Tree Lighting Postponed
- Trial Ordered For Two Brothers Accused of Home Invasion
- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
- Towamencin Twp. Receives Grant Money For Fischer’s Park
- Consumer Advocate: Safer To Use Credit Card Instead of Debit When Shopping
Listen to these shows on demand right now
Abington and Holy Redeemer Cancel Partnership
Abington Health and Holy Redeemer Health System, both based in Abington Township, have dropped plans to create a new regional health system.
Last month the trustees of both institutions approved letters of intent, but they ended discussions after Abington doctors objected strongly, in large part because the agreement would have required the hospital to stop doing abortions. An OB/GYN specialist at Abington, Dr. Sherry Blumenthal, says a compromise proposal to have abortions performed at an off-campus clinic would jeopardize the safety of both doctors and patients.
Abington is nonsectarian while Holy Redeemer is Catholic.