- New Chairman for Montco GOP
- Judge Denies Request For Gun Seller in Officer Fox Case
- Towamencin Twp. Receives Grant Money For Fischer’s Park
- Consumer Advocate: Safer To Use Credit Card Instead of Debit When Shopping
- Alzheimer’s Research Underway At 3 Universities in Pa.
- Long Prison Term For 21 Year Old Man in Rape of Girl
Listen to these shows on demand right now
Montco Takes Over Canal Park
A historic site in Upper Providence Township has a new owner. Montgomery County has taken over the Schuylkill Canal Park, once owned by the state, between Mont Clare and Port Providence. Completing the paperwork took more than a year. The Nonprofit Schuylkill Canal Association started preserving the property more than 20 years ago, and Executive Director Betsy Daley says her organization is not going anywhere.
“We are the day-to-day management on site working with the county to further improve and enhance the site so everyone can enjoy it.”
The Schuylkill Canal was one of several that carried coal and farm crops to Philadelphia before the railroads came in the 19th century.